Its been in the news all over. While the primary motive might be in the server space, I'm thinking of what it means to Eclipse and Java as a whole. Thinking of the possibilities:
- Netbeans platform to be deprecated (read: gone)
- Eclipse is bundled with JDK
- JDK uses Eclipse Compiler. Only downside I see is that the Eclipse Compiler is a pure Java application and needs a JRE, but hey a JDK ships with the JRE right?
- Every JRE ships with a latest version of SWT
- No more worries for interoperability of JSR 277 with OSGi - as OSGi will be pushed into Java Platform as a standard
Wow! The possibilities are promising. Let me see how many of these come true